| || |
| | A WINE STORY
MAY 14, 2010 Shrivington Shiraz & Cabernet Sauvignon
"It's been decades since I've been to New York," says the youthful and sporty looking Lynne Shri vin gon who has come to the U.S. from McLaren Vale to showcase verticals of their Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz. Lynne, her husband Paul, and son Mark are the trio behind this upscale brand.
| | SLAKED
MAY 14, 2010 1964 Grunlack Riesling Spatlese Schloss Johannisberg Rheingau *
This 46 year old wine did not taste a day over six or seven. Vibrant light yellow hue, with freshly ground apples, tart soft goat cheese notes, and very mellow honeysuckle and dried apricots on the finish. Young Brie predominates for me as the wine airs. Simply magnificent.
| | VIGNA UVA VINO
MAY 14, 2010 Arturo Bertona Monte Cinco Malbec 2005 Argentina
The Bertona family migrated from Italy's Piedmont region in the late 1800's and now produce award winning Malbecs. Impressive deep purple colors, a bit warmer around the edges and an opaque texture in the glass, with amazingly rich and focused vanilla aromas following, then encircled by a smoky ring.
| | DR. VINO
MAY 13, 2010 Champagne for non-hipsters: what would you pour?
If you were invited to a sumptuous dinner at your friend’s boss’ house and had to bring the bubbly, would you bring a grower champagne or a better-known label? That was a question I confronted head-on last week.
A WINE STORY Riesling World Tour & Spanish Wine 2010
| THURSDAY, MAY 13, 2010
Martin Tesch. Today in NYC two of the biggest wine shows came to town, both located at the same time at different ends of the city. Now knowing that Riesling is a white, lower alcohol wine, you may prefer to visit Riesling producers first and leave the more alcoholic, more red varietal Spanish wine for last. Then again, you might be influenced by the way experts taste in Burgundy, which is red first and then white. MORE >>
- Chablis Night
We had a bunch of people over for dinner this weekend for Chablis night. We pulled out all the stops - had the living room re-done with shag carpeting, disco balls, velour shirts, and big jugs of California white wine. Okay, that's not exactly what we did. But close. Everyone brought along a bottle of Chablis, I made dinner, and we enjoyed eating, drinking, and hanging out. In part, this was inspired by this Chablis post and the reaction to it by Kristin, Henriot's marketing director. MORE >>
VIGNA UVA VINO Chateau Lafite Rothschild Pauillac 2004
| MONDAY, MAY 10, 2010
Another taste from the Wine Spectator Grand Tour in NYC. The Chateau Lafite Rothschild is absolutely amazing with a nose full of deep, floral aromas, especially violets and blueberries. A perfect balance of acidity and tannins combined with scrumptious flavors showing mild cherries and blue fruits makes this wine a dream. MORE >>
DR. VINO Thirst Wine Merchants – Fort Greene, Brooklyn
| WEDNESDAY, MAY 12, 2010
A couple of months ago, we had a discussion about what makes a great, independent wine shop. Here’s a bit more about one of excellent example of a neighborhood shop: Thirst Wine Merchants in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. Michael Yarmark, born in New York, moved to San Francisco where he did a Masters in English literature at SF State. While living in the Bay Area, he met Emilia Valencia, who was working front-of-house at a restaurant. MORE >>
A WINE STORY Tasting 2007 J Vineyards Russian River wines.
| WEDNESDAY, MAY 12, 2010
…I had a chance to catch up with new developments at J Vineyards and Winery today with George F. Bursick, VP Winemaking, who was showing many of the company’s wines. Though the company had its foundation in sparkling wine, it now has ten estate vineyards totaling 257 planted acres in the Russian River valley. MORE >>
- Further Adventures in Blind Tasting BROOKLYN GUY LOVES WINE | SATURDAY, MAY 8, 2010
- Taurasi Wines of Campania IMBIBE NEW YORK | THURSDAY, MAY 13, 2010
- Gordon Ramsay, Bruce Willis, Australia, re-fi — sipped and spit DR. VINO | MONDAY, MAY 10, 2010
- Wine Review: Fess Parker Wines A WINE STORY | TUESDAY, MAY 11, 2010
- Teruzzi & Puthod Rondolino Vernaccia di San Gimignano DOCG 2007 VIGNA UVA VINO | THURSDAY, MAY 13, 2010
- "Spices that represent the stories of our global diversity." BROOKLYN GUY LOVES WINE | WEDNESDAY, MAY 12, 2010
- The Wine Century Club and the 100 grape challenge DR. VINO | SATURDAY, MAY 8, 2010
- Sud de France Top-Scoring Wines at Maison de la Region Languedoc-Roussillon A WINE STORY | MONDAY, MAY 10, 2010
- Foraging for Morels in Wisconsin IMBIBE NEW YORK | TUESDAY, MAY 11, 2010
- Screw It: Crosby Roamann - SuppleWine.com SLAKED | MONDAY, MAY 10, 2010
- Dr Vino's wine blog » Gordon Ramsay, Bruce Willis, Australia, re-fi — sipped and spit DR. VINO | MONDAY, MAY 10, 2010
- Dinner with Ntsiki Biyela: SA Woman Winemaker of the Year A WINE STORY | SUNDAY, MAY 9, 2010
- Brotherhood Dry Riesling 2008 WHY WINE BLOG | SUNDAY, MAY 9, 2010
- Biondi-Santi Brunello di Montalcino 2004 DOCG VIGNA UVA VINO | SUNDAY, MAY 9, 2010
- Los Angeles Natural Wine Week NOW ALICE FEIRING | THURSDAY, MAY 13, 2010
- South African Wine Comes to NYC A WINE STORY | TUESDAY, MAY 11, 2010
- Restaurant Trends for 2010: Wine & Spirits 2nd Annual Top of the List A WINE STORY | TUESDAY, MAY 11, 2010
- Rusack Vineyards in San Ynez A WINE STORY | SUNDAY, MAY 9, 2010
- Jason Lett takes Alice on a Sans Souffre Adventure ALICE FEIRING | WEDNESDAY, MAY 12, 2010
- The Sulfur Dilemma ALICE FEIRING | MONDAY, MAY 10, 2010
- The Making of a 100 (Minus 2) Point Wine ALICE FEIRING | SATURDAY, MAY 8, 2010